A "fairy tale fucking town" is how Harry, played by Ralph Fiennes, describes the city Bruges in the film In Bruges. And indeed Bruges is a city full of "beautiful fucking fairy-tale stuff."
Filmed on location, In Bruges finds two hitmen (Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson) hiding out in the small storybook Belgian town of Bruges after a failed job gets them into hot water with their boss. Written and directed by Academy Award winner Martin McDonagh, the film was the opening-night selection for the 2008 Sundance Film Festival.
Known as the Venice of the North, Bruges is one of the most beautiful cities in Europe. In addition, Bruges is one of the best-preserved medieval towns in Europe, located in the lowlands of northwestern Flanders, near the North Sea. As a monument to the age of chivalry, Bruges has few equals.
It was a justified motive that prompted UNESCO in 2000 to include the entire historical city centre on the World Heritage list. Walking along the maze of winding cobbled alleys and romantic canals, you imagine yourself to be in medieval times. The wealth of museums is a striking image of this city's stirring history.
Bruges is also home to contemporary culture, such as the new Concert Hall, which is one of the most prominent music complexes in Flanders. Moreover, many events take place in Bruges. This year , for example, on 5th April 2009, the Tour of Flanders will start in the city.
The restaurants in Bruges which offer gastronomic cuisine and the exclusive hotels are a true feast for those who enjoy the good things in life.
Five reasons why Bruges is certainly worth visiting:
1) For its medieval character
2) For its accessibility: thanks to its privileged location, Bruges can be easily reached by any means of transport.
3) For its superb infrastructure: Bruges offers a wide range of accommodations, from low-budget to 4-star hotels. There is also a whole array of restaurants, ranging from traditional Flemish cooking to world cuisine (Japanese, Indian, African,…).
4) For its short distances: all locations are within walking distance from each other
5) For its beer, chocolates and waffles