Monday, 27 April 2009
National Geographic Traveler Magazine places Ghent third in its global ranking of authentic destinations!
National Geographic Traveler Magazine is a reference for anyone who enjoys travel, fine photography and insightful journalism. At the end of November 2008, the magazine published a top 109 of the most authentic destinations worldwide. The historic city centre of Ghent ranked third!
What a surprise! Not that Ghent is an authentic, real city filled with excellently preserved buildings, monuments and art treasures, but the real surprise is that the city is recognized for these qualities! And there’s more. Ghent is praised for its “brilliant mix of a wonderful past and a contemporary, vibrant city”.
Ghent can boast the title of highest-ranking city, being preceded only by Austria’s Wachau Valley and the area around the Rideau Canal in Ontario, Canada. In Ghent’s wake are prestigious destinations such as Lyon, York, Dublin, Istanbul, Cape Town, Munich and many others.
Below you can find the top 10 of the global ranking of authentic destinations:
1. Austria: Wachau/Melk Abbey (score: 88)
2. Ontario: Rideau Canal corridor (score: 84)
3. Belgium: Historic Center of Ghent (score: 81)
4. Japan: Nikko historic areas (score: 81)
5. Austria: Graz (score: 80)
6. Sweden: Stockholm's Gamla Stan (score: 80)
7. France: Aix-en-Provence (score: 80)
8. Germany: Potsdam historic areas (score: 80)
9. France: Dijon and Bourgogne region (score: 80)
10. Argentina: Mendoza wine estancias (score: 79)
If you want to visit one of these beautiful authentic cities, you can easily book a hotel on www.medestino.com.